FA Cup – First Qualifying Round Replay

Spelthorne Sports 0 - 4 Fisher
Tuesday 6 September 2022 - 19:45

Spelthorne Sports 0-4 Fisher
Tuesday 6th September
Emirates FA Cup – First Qualifying Round Replay

Scorers: Osemen Usifoh (25 min), Manny Shoderu (39 min- pen) Jacob Katonia (45 min) Isaac Thompson (73 min)
Attn: 163

Jack Hayman reports from Spelthorne on behalf of The Non-League Chronicles. Give their facebook a like – excellent source of non-league action: https://www.facebook.com/thenonleaguechronicles
Fisher surged into the 2nd qualifying round with a convincing 4-0 win in their FA Cup replay away at Spelthorne Sports on Tuesday night which set a new club record in the process.
Having seen Saturday’s tie end 1-1 at St Paul’s the Fish travelled to Middlesex knowing that a win would make history as they’d never made it beyond the 1st qualifying round since reformation in 2009.
Looking resplendent in their new Partick Thistle style away kit The Fish began the stronger and Isaac Thompson surged down the left after a lovely clipped ball from Jacob Katonia and teed up Osemen Usifoh who headed over when well placed from close range in what was a huge let off for the hosts.
Spelthorne shot back with an early free kick needing Sam Amedu’s intervention after a scramble inside the area.
It was a scrappy opening 20 minutes in truth but Fisher were on top, defending resolutely with Joseph Adewumni and Sam Fitzgerald soaking up the pressure and winning their aerial battles, the latter played a decent ball into the channel for Thompson to chase and he squared for Katonia to run on to but he got the ball caught under his feet at the crucial moment and had his shot deflected wide.
The resulting set piece yielded the opener as Sam Fitzgerald’s goal bound effort was only half cleared off the line and Usifoh scrambled home amongst a sea of limbs much to his and the travelling Fish faithful’s delight.
Fisher continued to press the issue and won a penalty on 38 minutes with Jacob Katonia getting into the area before going down under challenge leaving the well placed referee with no option but to point to the spot.
As on Saturday up stepped stand in skipper Manny Shoderu to thump home a confident spot kick for 0-2 on 39 minutes, lovely stuff!
Fisher even had a slice of luck right on half time when a ball into the area was attempted to be cleared but only got as far as the unlucky Max Webb who could do nothing but watch as the ball cannoned into the bottom corner for an unlucky own goal and 0-3.
HT 0-3 The Fish in dreamland but a job half done. Spelthorne swapped keepers due to an injury.
Spelthorne called Sam Amedu into action with the 1st effort of the second period as Denz Agyepong had a go from 20 yards and forced Amedu to make a lovely stop in the process.
At 3-0 down as you may expect Spelthorne were on the attack and looking for a change of fortunes. They were thrown a bit of a lifeline on 59 minutes when Prince Imoru bought down the last man when he was clean through on the edge of the box, a definite but very unfortunate red card for the makeshift right back who’d had a decent game until then.
This left the Fish with over half an hour to play and a free kick to defend. The free kick was well over and Michael Sarpong shuffled into a more defensive role for an important shift.
It felt like the next goal was crucial, either game on or game over. It arrived on 73 minutes and it was the latter as Isaac Thompson pressed Spelthorne left back Wale Garuba who got caught under the ball and dispossessed him 25 yards from goal before closing in and blasting past stand in keeper Ollie Davison to put the tie to bed and capped an excellent evening for Fisher’s number 9.
In truth Fisher saw the game out with no issues and could have had more when substitute Anthony Connor popped a lovely ball through but it was just beyond Patrick Hoy.
FT 0-4 Fisher into the 2nd Qualifying Round and away to Welling United on the 17th September for what’s sure to be an exciting tie!
MOTM: Isaac Thompson (Fisher) I think in truth this could have gone to one of about 4/5 players but Isaac Thompson nicks it tonight, he was lively throughout, put in a lovely delivery for the 1st, chased, hurried and got his goal eventually!

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: