Pre-season friendly 2020/21

Stansfeld 0 - 1 Fisher
Saturday 29 August 2020 - 15:00Metrogas Sports Ground, SE9

Stansfeld 0-1 Fisher
Saturday 29 August 2020
Metrogas Sports Club
Free Admission
Pre-season friendly

Fisher goalscorer: Josh Biddlecombe

Goal highlights from the Fisher Film Crew:

A good test for The Fish with a trip to Metrogas to play SCEFL 1 side Stansfeld, in their last pre-season friendly prior to the return of competitive football on Tuesday.

Fisher began quickly and won a free kick 25 yards from goal inside the opening minute of the game. The free kick was well blocked and cleared.

Stansfeld had the next chance of note, Ollie Milton having a decent chance saved inside the opening 5 minutes. This set the tone for the game going forward, end to end, blood and thunder. Something which both management teams will have wanted going into the season, in order to get match sharp.

Jamie Yilla followed up Wednesday’s excellent performance against Sutton Athletic by picking up where he left off and making his markers life difficult. He twisted and turned on the byline before teeing up Martin Sarpong. His low ball across the six yard box, just missing the far post. A warning shot across the bow for Stansfeld.

Fisher continued to press, Josh Biddlecombe was particularly busy both in and out of possession, combining well with Yilla, after the latter had kept the ball on the pitch against the odds. He was harshly denied what looked a stonewall penalty when he was chopped down after releasing the ball to the right winger. The referee did blow, for a dive. One amongst a number of strange decisions.

Fisher were ahead 90 seconds or so after this though. A free kick on the left hand edge of the penalty area was played to Jamie Yilla who cut to the byline and sent the ball towards the front post where it was stabbed in by the industrious Biddlecombe. No less than The Fish deserved on the opening half hours play.

They would have gone even further ahead shortly after, but for an excellent save by Charlie Cottrell in the Stansfeld goal. Biddlecombe was played through and looked to have found the top corner but Cottrell denied him at full stretch.

Stansfeld did have one good chance to hit back as the half wore on, Ryan Hassan forcing a good save down to his right out of Dan Carpanini in the Fish goal.

Sam Fitzgerald should have made it 2-0 on the strike of half time. A delivery from the right hand side was met by the towering centre half whose shot was excellently turned on to the crossbar & away for another corner.

HT 1-0 Fish – could and perhaps should have been more.

The first chance of the second period fell to Stansfeld, Ollie Milton heading wide from a decent position. Stansfeld began the half well to be fair and Fisher did have to do some defending, with a couple of counter attacks being dealt with well.

How Fisher didn’t score on the hour after recycling one of these situations is a mystery. Sam Fitzgerald picked the ball up and sprayed a great ball down the left hand side to Jamie Yilla with the outside of his boot, Yilla then cut inside and put a great ball across the 6 yard box. Nobody got on the end of this. The move didn’t break down and the ball came back to Yilla who then struck the outside of the post. The ball then fell to Harry Main who was only denied by an excellent goal line clearance.

The game began to fade away scoring opportunities wise as the substitutions mounted up and the ball stayed more in midfield. That’s not to say it wasn’t competitive with the challenges flying in. There was one more chance with Harry Main playing a cute ball round the corner to Malachi Coker whose shot was turned round the post.

FT 1-0 Fisher – A deserved win, which could & should have been by more TBH.

MOTM: Josh Biddlecombe (Fisher) Scored the winner, grafted & but for a great save could have had more.

Jack Hayman (The Non-League Chronicles)

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:..............................