SCEFL Challenge Cup – 3rd Round

Glebe 3 - 0 Fisher
Tuesday 8 February 2022 - 19:45Foxbury Avenue, Chislehurst BR7

Glebe 3-0 Fisher

Tuesday 8th February 2022

SCEFL Challenge Cup Third Round

Attn: 43

Fisher bowed out the Southern Counties East Football League Challenge Cup at the third round stage after a 3-0 defeat to title challengers Glebe in a game that was closer than the score line suggests.

A sparse crowd of which fisher supporters made up over half the 43 paying customers game for an eerie atmosphere at Foxbury Avenue and the game did little to liven proceedings in the opening half hour. Both sides sat deep and were prepared to play the ball to side to side around the midfield make it more akin to an end of season dead rubber game rather than a cup tie.

Whilst Glebe had the greater share of possession – Fisher’s well drilled shape meant the pleasing to the eye passing often ended with an over hit through ball that Tommy Taylor was always on hand to gather.

With the slope in their favour Fisher started to push forward a little more on the half hour and debutant Fidan Fejzi broke well down the left before running out of space to get in a cross and Christina Udo should really have opened the scoring when Jacob Katonia burst through two tackles before slipping the ball through to the burly forward, however he opted to have a touch and then tstab the ball with the outside of his right foot rather than swing at it with his left first time and the hesitation allowed Kamarasi to save low down.

Fisher were left to rue the miss when on 35 minutes quick feet in the box from King saw him evade two defenders and get felled by Katonia’s efforts to nick the ball of his toes for an undisputed penalty which was duly dispatched.

Fisher fought back well and Katonia was denied by an acrobatic tip over the bar from Kamarasi after a neat interchange of passes allowed him space to turn and shoot from twenty yards out. Further chances fell to Thompson who was unable to meet a cross, opting to go with his feet rather than dive for a header and the Kamarasi again saved well to tip Joseph Adewunmi’s header around the post as Fisher ended the half in positive fashion despite being a goal behind.

The second half again saw Glebe with greater possession and Fisher surprisingly failed to come out with the same intensity they had just prior to the break.

A quick break from the lively Lauris Chin saw him break two tackles before being upended by Sam Fitzgerald earning the centre half a yellow card and Fisher were further punished when from the free kick the ball was recycled after hitting the wall and Azeez rose unopposed at the far post to nod home.

Imoru, Traore and Weemes entered the fray as Fisher looked to find a way back into the tie. Luke Thomas and Femi Oladejo in the tow full back roles looked the most likely to find a way through, both surging forward and supplying several good balls into the box with Oladejo catching Kamarasi out and seeing one of his efforts skim along the cross bar and Katonia saw an effort fly wide but it was Glebe who were to wrap up the scoring when substitute Jamie Philpot ghosted into the area to nod home another recycled cross after a corner had been partly cleared.

The third added a gloss to the score line for Glebe that was harsh on Fisher who had not played badly but found themselves up against an opponent full of confidence and clinical in finishing who will surely feature on the final of the competition later in the season.


Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: