SCEFL Challenge Cup 4th Round

Fisher 7 - 1 Stansfeld
Tuesday 7 February 2023 - 19:45

Fisher 7-1 Stansfeld

Tuesday 7 February 2023

SCEFL Challenge Cup Quarter Final

Scorers: Eni Amgbaduba (20 mins, 35 mins, 55 mins), Cedric Nganga (41 mins, 70 mins), Michael Sarpong 76 mins) and Lewis Duberry (90 mins)

Attn: 165

Fisher romped into the semi-finals of the Southern Counites East Football League Challenge cup with an emphatic 7-1 victory over local rivals Stansfeld in a one side quarter final tie.

The Fish made just two changes from Saturday’s win at Sutton, with Eni Amgbaduba starting up front in place of Luke With and Isaac Thompson coming in for the rested Jacob Katonia. Fisher started quickly with Thompson flashing a shot just wide of the upright, but were also given an early scare when Maylon struck the outside of the post before Sam Amedu smothered the rebound effort. However just past the quarter of an hour mark Fisher took control of the tie with the opening goal. Billy Brown slipped in a well weighted through ball that saw Eni Amgbaduba close the outrushing keeper and capitalise on his misjudged touch allowing Amgbaduba to slide the ball into net and give the Fish the lead.

Fisher quickly looked to double the lead with Amgbaduba hooking a volley over the bar and Thompson’s low shot from the edge of the box only saved at the second attempt as Brown looked to tuck home the rebound. On 31 minutes Fisher did double their lead. Having won a free kick on the left just inside the Stansfeld half, the ball was nudged forward to Michael Sarpong who delivered a peach of a cross deep in the Stansfeld box that found Amgbaduba rising highest to powerfully head the ball back across the goal and into the net off the inside of the far post.

Fisher looked to have wrapped the tie up just before the break when Fisher broke quickly from defending their own area and Cedric Nganga raced on to the through ball, rounding the keeper as he again rushed from his area, then calmly slipped inside the final defender to elegantly roll the ball into the net.

Clearly Stansfeld were going to need to rally early in the second spell if they were to get back into the game and they achieved that inside three minutes as Ryan Fowler fired home a corner that was delivered low and fats across the Fisher box. But any thoughts that the goal would be any more than a consolation were quickly expelled as Fisher restored their three goal cushion ten minutes later. A spell of pressure saw the ball fed out to Billy Brown on the right and his run and sublime cross was powerfully headed home by Eni Amgbaduba beating both keeper and defender to the ball to complete his hat trick with a trademark centre forwards goal.

From that point it just became a matter of how many the Fish would score as their rampant forward line caused havoc with every attack. Cedric Nganga added his second and Fisher’s fifth when he tucked home the rebound after Amgbaduba had turned to make space and shoot from the edge of the area which the keeper could only parry back to French winger.

A sixth arrived when again following good pressure the ball was fed out wide, where Isaac Thompson beat his marker and whipped in a delicious low cross that saw a goal hungry Michael Sarpong on hand at the back post to slip the ball into an empty net.

In the final minute of the ninety Fisher made it seven, as Lewis Duberry grabbed a goal his impressive midfield work deserved when taking a snapshot from outside the area which left the keeper motionless as it rolled into the near corner.

Andres Tobin came on for a late debut off the bench joining fellow substitutes Darnell Bromfield, Jacob Katonia and Prince Imoru as Fisher eased to their third semi-final appearance in the Challenge Cup and if they can repeat this performance a first final could finally be in the offing.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: