SCEFL League Cup – First Round

Fisher 2 - 1 Welling Town
Tuesday 23 November 2021 - 19:45St Pauls Stadium, Rotherhithe SE16

Fisher 2-1 Welling Town (after extra time)
Tuesday 23 November 2021
SCEFL Challenge Cup

Fish goalscorers:
Isaac Thompson (31 pen) Matt Nezval (98)

Attn: 78

Photo credit: Gavin Witt.
Match Report and picture courtesy of Jack Hayman and the Non-League Chronicles. Give their facebook page a like:

Fisher advanced into the next round of the SCEFL Challenge Cup with a narrow and hard fought victory over SCEFL Premier Division strugglers Welling Town.
The Fish who rested several key first team players like Michael Sarpong, Sam FitzGerald & Christian Udo in the hope of bouncing back from Saturday’s defeat at the hands of Bearsted.
It was the visitors who had the first chance with 2 minutes gone, a corner from the right hand side being well met but headed wide by Alex Costa.
Fisher should have been in front with 11 minutes played a good ball into the area being ferociously whacked against the underside on the crossbar by Malaki Coker at full stretch before it was thumped away by the The Boots’ defence. Debutant Neil Spencer was next to test the visitors keeper on 25 minutes but he could only fire down Whymark’s gullet for an easy save.
However an even better chance presented itself within seconds, a clumsy challenge sent Luke Thomas flying and the referee pointing to the spot. Isaac Thompson doing the honours and rifling the ball top bins for 1-0 giving the keeper absolutely no chance.Thompson soon went close again, bursting into the area but agonisingly dragging his shot just wide.
The Fish were made to pay for this soon after with Aaron Glasgow handling a shot in the area and conceding a penalty. Ollie Sotoyinbo duly stepped up and repeated Thompson’s trick and sent Carpanini the wrong way for 1-1 with 36 minutes played.
The Fish did have another half decent opportunity with the half winding down a fantastic defence splitting through ball finding Patrick Hoy who could only fire against the on rushing keeper before Isaac Thompson fired the rebound well wide from miles out.
Not to gloss over the second period but it wasn’t a classic and my highlight was the Lager I had from the Fisherman’s Rest and some banter with Rob Brown who was doing what I think everyone else in the ground was doing and warming up. The only incident of note on the pitch was Sam Edwards having an exchange of opinions with Dami Oni of Welling Town for which they were quite rightly cautioned.
Extra time began with the game in chronic need of excitement it must be said. The Fish however did provide it on 97 minutes. A good passing move eventually finding Harry Main who slightly over hit his pass for Matt Nezval who produced a great finish to slide the ball past the keeper and give the faithful something to cheer in now cranky Arctic conditions.
There was one more incident of note with Harry Main thinking he’d got a 3rd to put a coat of gloss on the score line but he was clearly offside and the Lino quite correctly flagged and denied him his goal.
Not a classic but a win and a big step in the right direction for Fisher after Saturday’s debacle although I’m sure the return of key players will make AJ want an even better performance on Saturday away at Lordswood.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: