SCEFL Premier Division

Fisher 0 - 3 Punjab United
Saturday 13 April 2024 - 15:00

Fisher 0-3 Punjab United
Saturday 13 April
SCEFL Premier Division

Match Sponsors: CVH Accountants –
Matchball Sponsors:
Millwall Community Trust –

Attn: 227

Fisher’s final home of the season saw a disastrous ten minute spell midway through the first half condemn them to 3-0 defeat at the hands of Punjab United. With the sun finally making a rare match day appearance after weeks of wet gloomy weather, a pleasing crowd of 227 were treated to entertaining game despite the result.
There was a surprise in the starting line up with a place for manager Ajay Ashanike in the back line. Up front Teddy Jones made a start on the wing with Jojo Kinzonzi deputising at left back. Sineen Sineen returned from and injury that has seen him miss a large part of the late season to take a place on the substitutes bench.
Fisher made a very bright start and from the kick off quickly got into a pleasing on the eye passing move, which ended with Flavio Jumo shooting narrowly over the bar. A second good chance quickly followed with a fine through ball along the ground allowing Teddy Jones to race clear, but the out rushing keeper just nicked the ball off the winger’s feet as he looked to round him just outside the area – a brave save where an error or failure to get a touch on the ball would have led to a certain red card.
Fisher were to rue those early missed chances as fifteen minutes in the momentum of the game changed. Ashanike was squared up in the area and going to ground his outstretched leg upended the Punjab winger for a stone certain penalty. However, Mo Otuyo clawed away the resulting spot kick for excellent save to stop the opening goal. Punjab did not have to wait long though as midway through the half they took the lead through Jack Barry and three minutes later when Otuyo could only parry an initial effort, Jack Hopkins hooked home the rebound from ten yards out double the lead. That ten minute spell gave Fisher a mountain to climb, but they responded well with Sarpong forcing a good save low at the near post by Bushell in the Punjab goal. More good approach play released top scorer Thomas Ngegba into the area but he dallied in getting his shot away and invited a last ditch tackle that cleared the danger.  The half ended with a powerful run forward from Sarpong seeing his low drive swerve wide of the post.
Half time saw Ashanike replace himself with Prince Imoru and Fisher continued to press for a goal to get themselves back into the game, but despite some good passing through the midfield and the ever present threat from the lively Sam Sene-Richardson Fisher could not make a clear cut chance. Teddy Jones looked the most likely to find the net but was forced wide for his best chance meaning his shot lacked conviction and the young winger just failed to meet a Sene Richardson cross as Fisher continued to threaten.
The game was over though as a contest when veteran substitute Paul Vines added a third for the visitors with fifteen minutes to play. Jospeh Adewunmi headed wide form alate corner as Fisher sought to find a late consolation goal amidst a flurry of half chances, but the ten minutes first half spell had sealed their fate far earlier in the game.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: