SCEFL Premier Division

Lydd Town 2 - 3 Fisher
Saturday 16 December 2023 - 15:00

Lydd Town 2-3 Fisher
Saturday 16 December
SCEFL Premier Division

Scorer: Thomas Ngegba (20 min, 71 min),  Callum Flynn (90+5 min pen)
Attn: 41

Fisher’s match with Lydd Town was abandoned in the final minute, amidst chaotic scenes following the award of a late penalty with Fisher leading 3-2 with the scoreline subsequently ordered to stand as the match result following a league investigation. 
Manager Michael Williams had to contend with the late loss of centre forward Eniye Amgbaduba, who transferred to Whitstable Town on Friday, with Thomas Ngegba deputising. There were also starts for Patrick Hoy and Manny Brown in midfield and Kevin Toualeu at the heart of the defence.
On a blustery afternoon, Fisher soon found themselves trailing, looking uncomfortable defending the swirling breeze. A half cleared ball into the box was fired back in and took several deflections before landing at the feet of an unmarked Eri Akintimehim who calmly converted to open the scoring in the fifth minute.
Fisher were struggling to clear their lines and Lydd soon doubled the advantage as on seventeen minutes hesitation between keeper and defenders allowed Dean Grant to nip in and convert from close range. For the second time in two games Fisher would need to try and fight back from an early two goal deficit.
As on Tuesday night Fisher soon pulled a goal a back, when on twenty minutes a neat through ball from Nathan Tshola allowed Thomas Ngegba a run on goal and the frontman neatly tucked the ball past the advancing keeper.
However, having hauled themselves back ono the game, their task became even harder when after being scythed down, Many Shoderu reacted poorly and his confrontation with the Lydd player was deemed violent conduct and saw him sent off.
Fisher got through to half time still trailing by a single goal and hopeful that despite only having ten men, the wind may further their hopes of getting something out of the game.
The second half indeed saw real spirit from the Fish, as they competed for everything and a strong defensive performance repelled anything further Lydd could throw at them. Midway through the half Fisher drew themselves level courtesy of a fine solo goal from Thomas Ngegba, bringing the ball down well, he turned his marker and showed good pace to run across pitch and advance into the area where he was able to slip the ball past the keeper sliding at his feet.
Some more resolute defending looked to be earning Fisher a point with Toualeu and Prince Imoru dominant in the air. A late chance which saw a good low save at the far post to deny Tobi Irefin, seemed to be the last opportunity for a winner for either side, before five minutes into stoppage time Fisher took a dramatic lead. A long ball out midfield from Billy Brown allowed substitute Teddy Jones to scamper after it and advance into the box where an assistants flag indicated he was brought down. Callum Flynn stepped up to take the kick and confidently dispatched it in the far right corner with the keeper going to other way.
Immediately from the restart Fisher regained possession and another through ball saw Tobi Irefin compete with a defender before being pushed to the ground with the referee again pointing for a spot kick.  However a fracas broke out amongst the players and despite it seemingly eventually quieten down, the referee blew the whistle prior to the penalty kick being taken indicating the game had been abandoned before what would have been the final kick of the game. The league subsequently ordered the score at the time of the abandonment to stand givng Fisher a hard earned 3-2 victory.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: