SCEFL Premier Division

K Sports 1 - 3 Fisher
Saturday 14 January 2023 - 15:00

K Sports 1-3 Fisher
Saturday 14 January 2023
SCEFL Premier Division

Scorers: Isaac Thompson (21 mins), Luke With (32 mins), Cedric Nganga (48 mins)

Fisher continued their recent good form with a fine 3-1 win in the road at K Sports to take them up to twelfth place in the SCEFL Premier Division.
Fisher started the game well, with the attacking threat of Cedric Nganga and Isaac Thompson quickly evident. The first chance of the game fell to Nganga, but his effort was wide of the post. At the other end a quickly taken free kick, amidst confusion with a referee’s whistle being blown, saw a good chance for the hosts wasted as their forward contrived to slice the ball wide with the goal at his mercy from eight yards out. Fisher then thought they had taken the lead when Luke With rose to nod a Michael Sarpong free kick firmly back across the keeper into the far corner of the goal only for an offside flag to be raised, in what looked a very close call.
However, on twenty one minutes Fisher did get the goal their early play deserved and in a season of stunning finishes this one was right up their with the best. Nganga chased a ball into the left corner before mesmerising the fullback with his quick footwork, leaving his marker tumbling to the ground before dinking a flighted ball deep to outside the back post, where Isaac Thompson composed himself to acrobatically meet the ball on the volley and slam it into the net from a tight angle.
Fisher doubled their lead ten minutes later with Thompson this time turning provider. Having scampered down the right wing he outpaced his marker and sent over a teasing cross which saw Luke With repeated his disallowed finish from earlier, this time with no flag, rising to nod the ball back across the keeper and into the net for a classic centre forward’s goal.
With Fisher two goals to the good, they looked in total control and any chance of a late flurry prior to half time from the hosts was hampered by a sin binning for former Fisher player Josh Biddlecombe. This also meant the hosts would start the second half a man short, allowing Fisher to ease themselves back into the game after the break.
Fisher indeed made their extra man count almost immediately and having scored one ‘goal of the season’ contender earlier in the game, produced another within three minutes of the restart. Nganga dispossessed a K Sports midfielder wide on the left touchline midway in the half and set off on mazy run that saw him leave defenders confused and befuddled in his wake. Cutting into the box he then opened up his body position to apply a precision finish into the far corner for a sublime individual goal.
This should have signalled the end of the game as a contest, but K Sports hit back almost immediately with Richard Jimoh finding space on the right from a series of quick switch passes to confidently drive the ball low into the far corner, pulling a goal back. The two goal cushion was always going to be sufficient and with Lewis Duberry’s non-stop work to pick up every second ball in midfield and keep Fisher moving forward a comeback from the hosts looked very unlikely.
Temi Oladejo replaced a tiring Inesh Sumithran and Jacob Katonia came on for Billy Brown who had again run himself to a standstill with trademark all action display. Katonia almost ran through to add a fourth but was blocked by a last ditch tackle and several good opportunities were missed to feed Nganga on the left by players opting to shoot as Fisher played out the game on the front foot.
Amgbaduba and Usifoh were added late in the game for With and the hugely impressive Nganga as Fisher saw the game out with little alarm.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: