Club News

Dean – Defensively we were awful. Fisher 0 – 2 Whitstable Town

It was a case of missed opportunity for Fisher on Saturday as a three game unbeaten run came to and end, as did the opportunity of getting off the bottom of the table. The Fish came up against a hugely organised Whitstable Town side who wrapped up their eight consecutive win with two goals in the first half, though the score could have been higher but for a great show from Nic Taylor which did inspire some fight in the second period.

Charlie Spencer opened the scoring after 26 minutes, guiding a well placed finished to Taylor’s left after a Bola Dawodu cross. It was almost two within minutes, Aaron Quain sending a curling free kick in that beat the keeper but not the woodwork. In injury time at the end of the first period Charlie Thompson latched onto a punt from the Oystermen’s keeper, beating Dwayne Agyemang to the long ball before lobbing the advancing Taylor from 18 yards. Boss Dean Harrison was not impressed by what he saw in the opening 45 from the Fish:

“Whitstable were by far the best team we’ve played since my return to the club. Intelligent, did the right things in the right areas and were very organised. All the things we’ve been working on in training but seemed to forget in the first 45 minutes on Saturday.

Defensively we were awful and the second goal was nothing short of embarrassing. Getting caught flat by one ball over the top should not be happening at any level of football. We showed real naivety and lacked communication and awareness.”

Dean was left wondering about what could have been as the game moved on, seeing good opportunities for the home side to get on the scoresheet squandered by Anton McKenzie and Spencer Forte in the first half, with Bhandal and Haidarovic missing in the second half.

“I told the lads before the game, we need to be clinical up top as we might not get too many chances. Luke Haidarovic and Camen Bhandal both missed sitters in the first half and it’s now our second game in a row where we haven’t scored.

Nic Taylor had a decent game and pulled off a magnificent save from a second half free kick and the lads responded all over the park for the last 45 which showed the true character that exists in this team.

The atmosphere was fantastic and we ask as many of you as possible to please make the trip to Tunbridge Wells this Saturday for what will be another massive game for us!”

Local rivals Beckenham Town picked up a point away at Cray Valley PM on Saturday, which saw them move back to a point ahead of us in 19th. Erith Town in 18th were thumped 1-7 at home by table topping Crowborough, whilst Deal Town stumbled at home 1-4 against Ashford. With teams around us losing too the fight for survival is still very much alive, especially with a trip to 16th place Tunbridge Wells this weekend. Full travel details will be in our match preview later in the week, but the Fisher Faithful could make all the difference on the road.

Fisher 0 – 2 Whitstable Town

Whitstable Town goals – Charlie Smith ’26, Craig Thompson ’45+3

Fisher Starting XI – Nic Taylor, Toyo Adeshina, Harry Bugden, Daniel Lawson ( off for Daniel Taylor), Daniel Flemming (c), Dwayne Agyemang, John Ufuah, Camen Bhandal (off for Hamid Bangura), Luke Haidarovic, Antwon McKenzie, Spencer Forte ( off for Juan David Devia Pineda)

Fisher Subs – Joseph Adesina, Daniel Taylor, Hamid Bangura, Juan David Devia Pineda

Attendance – 149

Match image (c) Leslie Biggs, courtesy of Whitstable Town. Full match gallery on Leslie’s Flickr album.

Leave a Reply