Club News

Match report: FHP 0-3 Fisher

Forest Hill Park 0-3 Fisher FC

Fisher made the short trip to Ladywell Arena on Wednesday evening for the second time in recent weeks, this time to face tenants Forest Hill Park (FHP). The Fish were looking to make it third time lucky, after defeats against the same opposition in both the league and the cup at St Paul’s. Gaffer Dean Harrison returned to the bench, with the side having been ably managed in his absence by assistant Neil Hunter in the previous two games, and there was also a return for Luke Haidarovic who took the captain’s armband.

Right from kick off, FHP sent a long ball into the Fisher half. Young George Ede collided with his opposing man, who won the header then landed on Ede with his full weight. Ede required several minutes of treatment, and suffered a suspected broken nose, but bravely played on for the remaining 89 minutes! Somehow a free kick was awarded against Ede on a night when decisions were repeatedly questioned by players of both sides. The free kick was hit into the box and gathered with ease by Nic Taylor. Fisher went straight up the pitch and Jamie Brown jinked his way along the 18 yard line before drilling a shot from just inside the box past a helpless keeper and into the bottom left hand corner. Another excellent finish from the right winger who has had a superb season! 1-0, Jamie Brown, 5 mins

The next real action of note was the match’s one moment of genius: Jack Rogers picked up the ball in the left back position, looked forward to see the FHP defence had advanced very high up the pitch, and lofted a ball over the centre backs. Mathieu Ramsamy was onto it in a flash, allowed it to bounce once before volleying at full stretch over the keeper, who was stranded in no-man’s land, and into the back of the net from fully 35 yards! A stunning strike, caught on camera as ever by John! See it again here: 2-0, Ramsamy, 9 mins

With the early two goal lead, Fisher were fully in control of the match with FHP struggling to make any sort of an impression. Calum Crawley tried his luck with a snapshot from the edge of the box after 13 minutes, but the ball flew over. Great persistence from Trey Small then saw him go on a great run down the left and somehow keep hold of the ball despite the attention of several men. He muscled his way into the box and fired off a shot, which the keeper blocked. A follow-up shot from Jamie Brown was blocked for a corner, which was taken short and resulted in a second corner, which was taken by the home keeper.

The game had a real end of season feel to it, with both teams trying their best to play their passing games but often being thwarted by the inconsistent bounces and bobbles of the pitch. The result was a far slower and less action-packed game than we have become used to with the Fish this season. After the initial flurry of chances for the Fish, the game entered a lull until the half hour mark. A Hamill free kick from the left touchline was headed over by Luke Haidarovic, then FHP forced their first corner of the game which was flicked on but then gathered by Taylor.

With five minutes remaining in the half, there were half chances for Hamill, who was just crowded out at the edge of the box after a good run down the right by Ramsamy, and then for Jamie Brown, who did manage to get his shot away from the edge of the box but it was held by the keeper at his left hand post. FHP forced their second corner of the game on 42 minutes, and Pat Geddis’ long clearance nearly allowed Ramsamy in on goal but he was thwarted by a desperate lunging tackle.

Half-time: Forest Hill Park 0-2 Fisher FC. Fisher went in at the break comfortably on top, with FHP not having a chance of note in the first 45. If it hadn’t been the most exciting of games, the away support was more than happy with the scoreline.

If FHP had failed to threaten the Fisher goal in the first half, they did so in the very first minute of the second. A deep diagonal ball to the back post from the right touchline was hooked across the face of goal and required only a touch for it to end up in the back of the net but, fortunately for Fisher, Wanogho was there to clear. Five minutes later and Fisher created their first opening of the half, Richie Hamill hitting the byline inside the box with a burst of pace then driving in a low cross which was blocked for a corner. Jamie Brown’s corner was headed clear at the near post.

Just after the hour mark, FHP had their first shot at goal after Trey Small had conceded a free kick down at the corner flag. The free kick was taken low and met on the run by the attacker, but his shot was driven harmlessly past Nic Taylor’s left hand post. On 64 minutes, Fisher made their first change with Tim Moffatt coming on for Calum Crawley in midfield. Four minutes later, it was nearly 3 for the away side after Luke Haidarovic beat the keeper to a long ball into the box. His header looked as if it was going to drop into the net but it was cleared off the line for a corner.

On 71 minutes, FHP’s players and bench produced a loud shout for a penalty after one of their attackers went down while trying to chase a long ball. There didn’t look to be anything in it, and the ref and linesman waved away the vociferous shouts. Two minutes later, a beautiful pass from Hamill split the FHP defence with both Small and Ramsamy racing through on goal. A defender got back to poke the ball away from Small, and Ramsamy’s follow-up shot was then beaten away by the keeper.

With ten minutes left, a nice turn by Haidarovic in the middle of the park allowed him to feed Jamie Brown, who exchanged passes with the overlapping Pat Geddis on the right wing before winning a corner. The FHP keeper had to be alert to tip the ball over the bar as Hamill’s corner nearly went straight in! The keeper had a rather easier job of claiming the second corner. Dean Harrison then replaced Geddis with youngster Georgie Phelps, who came on to make his Fisher debut. Within 30 seconds he was in the thick of the action, winning a free kick inside his own box after he was pushed to the ground by an opposition player.

The game looked to be petering out but there was just time for one more chance for Fisher. With 92 minutes on the clock, Trey Small got on the end of a ball into the box, composed himself and then finished one on one with the keeper. A very cool finish by Small who has had an excellent debut season. See it again here, thanks to John: 3-0, Small, 92 mins

Full-time: Forest Hill Park 0-3 Fisher FC. Trey Small’s goal in injury time put a gloss on the scoreline which was perhaps unfair on FHP who battled hard and were much improved in the second half. However, there can be no doubts that Fisher were worthy winners, and the combination of another clean sheet and another three goals was very pleasing indeed.

Man of the match: a harder one than usual. Trey Small worked hard throughout and was rewarded with a well-taken goal in stoppage time, Mathieu Ramsamy scored yet again, and yet again it was a goal of the season contender, but the award goes to George Ede. The youngster has impressed in recent weeks, looking calm under pressure at the back. Not only did he not put a foot wrong against FHP, helping the defence to another clean sheet, but he did so with a broken nose for 89 minutes! A brave and committed performance which we look forward to seeing more of next season!

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:..............................  

Leave a Reply