Club News

Match report: Fisher 2-3 Barkingside

Fisher FC 2 – 3 Barkingside FC

For their last home and the penultimate match of their pre-season campaign, Fisher FC took on Barkingside FC of the Essex Senior League.

In a similar fashion to the previous three matches Fisher started off strongly, making chances and shots on goal that would beat the keeper but also beat the woodwork.

First blood went to Barkingside – a clinical overhead kick by their striker, which the keeper couldn’t quite reach. One nil to the opposition – Fisher were seemingly swimming in unknown waters.

Ten minutes later and the away team were cartwheeling over to the dugout again – the ball was whipped into the right, the head of the Barkingside striker met it at its sweet spot and the score sheet reads nil two. ‘WTF is going on’ commented one Fisher player on social media…

Fisher found themselves being fried by the weather and the opposition just five minutes after that second goal – a well-placed shot by the Barkingside attacker, bulging the back of the net.

HT: Fisher FC 0 – 3 Barkingside FC

Fisher were struggling to get into the rhythm and build the strong ties they had so expertly done against Stansted on the weekend. That being said, Barkingside took their chances well and were playing a high standard of football.

As the sun set on the Canary Wharf skyline, the second half began with blood boiling and tempers rising. (The Fisher captain was politely threatened with a bar of soap to wash his mouth out a few times). By the end of the game, there had been 24 fouls in total – five by the home side, nineteen by the away side.

Following a better period of play from the Fish, the Barkingside manager made a bold move, shouting from the touchline, “Everyone off EXCEPT for one defender, one midfielder and one striker!”

A radical decision, some analysts might say, but in reality, one that provided Fisher with an advantageous opportunity, which they took on the stroke of 80 minutes. Barkingside gave away their seventeenth free kick of the game and this time the Fish managed to get the ball to the Promised Land – in the back of the net!

A mere three minutes later and St Paul’s Stadium was becoming like Istanbul in 2005. A lovely header from another beautiful free kick delivery – “we’ve done it before” the Fisher faithful start to cheer and believe that it could be done.

Yet, the sun finished setting whilst the game came to a close. Certainly a stronger performance in the second half and two worthy goals. Handshakes and pats on the back all round for both teams – matches like against Stansted and tonight’s against Barkingside are what pre-season campaigns are about; entertaining the crowd with high scoring head to heads, as well as facing real skill-based tests, working hard, taking control of the game, trying out new and regular players in the squad, new techniques and of course, new tweets. Come on the Fish!

FT: Fisher FC 2-3 BarkingsideFC


Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:..............................