Club News

Match Report – Fisher 3-1 Welling Town

Fisher FC 3-1 Welling Town

Match highlights put together by the Fisher Film Crew (FFC):

A very healthy midweek crowd of 195 was in attendance at St Paul’s on Tuesday night, eager to see the first home competitive match for Allan Fenn’s new-look Fisher side against SCEFL Premier Division new boys, Welling Town. After Saturday’s goalless encounter at Deal, there was just one change to the Fisher starting line-up with Jamie Yila coming in for Isaac Amoah who dropped to the bench. Luke Thomas slotted in at right back, allowing Yila to play on the right wing.

Fisher started brightly in their new home shirts, and after only 4 minutes centre back Ade Oluwo got up well at the back post to meet a free kick, but his header was directed into the ground which took some of the pace off and allowed the keeper to gather at the second attempt.

In the early stages, Luke Thomas was a real thorn in the side of the opposition, getting forward on a number of occasions with some mazy dribbles and several dangerous crosses. On 14 minutes, he tried his luck with a shot from just outside the box, but it didn’t trouble the Welling keeper.

Captain Rob Brown was next to try his luck, with a curling volley from 20 yards lacking the power to beat the away keeper on 16 minutes, then a free kick from a similar position three minutes later being pushed behind for a corner – you can see that one again here:

Fisher were well in the ascendancy, and great perseverance down the right by Jamie Yila saw him chase down the full back and muscle him off the ball, before crossing low and hard across the face of goal, but sadly there was no-one there to apply the finishing touch. A shot from outside the box straight into Clark’s arms, then a direct free-kick just outside the box which was sclaffed well wide were the first sights of goal for Welling, but Fisher looked much the likelier side to break the deadlock.

Jamie Yila nearly did exactly that on the half hour mark, cutting in from the right and unleashing a rocket from 25 yards which flew just wide of the left hand upright. Moments later, a nice flick-on from Atutis sent Billy Brown racing in on goal but his shot was blocked by the lunging last man.

The breakthrough finally came on 37 minutes, and what a beauty it was. A lovely delicate through ball by Jacob Katonia, a perfectly timed run by Rob Brown to beat the offside trap, split the centre backs and go clean through on goal, and then an exquisite lofted finish into the top left hand-corner. See it again here as always thanks to Fisher FC’s videographer, John Green (@John84Green):  1-0, Rob Brown, 37 mins.

As the game entered time added on at the end of the first half, a mishit clearance by Clark gave a Welling forward a clear sight of goal, but his first touch was heavy and the home rearguard got back to clear. Fisher broke up the park immediately, and Jamie Yila beat two men in the box before being tackled by the third. The ball rebounded kindly for him, and he regained possession only to be brought down on the byline for a penalty to Fisher. Rob Brown tucked it away coolly, and the Fish took a two goal lead into the break. See it again here:  2-0, Rob Brown (pen), 47 mins.


Half-time: Fisher FC 2-0 Welling Town. The home side were well worthy of their lead at the break, having been well organised at the back and dangerous going forward.


The Fish started the second half like a train, clearly not content to sit on their two goal lead. With two minutes of the half gone, a free kick on halfway was played up to the edge of the box where Atutis chested down for Rob Brown, but the captain’s volley was deflected wide for a corner. Fisher were claiming for a penalty after some pushing at the corner, but the ball broke wide left to Rob Brown who shot into the side netting from just outside the left hand corner of the box.

Namesake Bill Brown then went on a mazy run down the left wing, cutting inside and shooting low from just inside the box, but again it was deflected behind for a corner. Rob Brown was on a personal mission to get his hat-trick, and another half chance saw him hit a snapshot just past the left hand post on 52 minutes, before he attempted to shoot from fully 30 yards after Atutis had won the free kick, but the keeper was able to collect at the second attempt.

After the fast and furious start, there was a period of scrappier play from both sides, before Welling hauled themselves back into it after being awarded a penalty on 68 minutes. A tangle on the byline saw the Fisher defender adjudged to have pulled back his opposite man and the ref was in no doubt. The Welling number 10, Marshall-Katung, tucked the penalty into the bottom left hand corner, sending Clark the wrong way. 2-1, Marshall-Katung (pen), 69 mins.

As so often happens in football, the momentum of the game then swung completely: Fisher had looked to be utterly in control, but Welling took heart from the penalty and so nearly equalised on 74 minutes. A free kick to the back post was nodded down, pushed away by Clark low down, and only a desperate diving lunge by two Fisher men on the line kept the follow-up shot out of the net. Welling then won a couple of corners in succession, but that was to be their last real chance in the game.

With ten minutes remaining, Jamie Yila put the result beyond all doubt. He dribbled into the box, looked to have lost possession but again was the recipient of a fortunate rebound which saw him regain the ball and tuck a cool finish past the keeper from 8 yards out. He ran behind the goal at the Dockers End to celebrate with the home faithful, where he was soon joined by his teammates. John caught the goal and the celebrations – see it again here:  3-1, Jamie Yila, 80 mins

Fisher were visibly reassured by the goal, and played out the remainder of the game comfortably. Rob Brown went off to a standing ovation from the home support, being replaced by Luke With, and Allan Fenn made two further changes in the final stages, Danny McCarthy coming on for Karolis Atutis and then David Olayokun replacing Billy Brown.

There was just time for one final half chance in the 92nd minute, Clark’s clearance from a back pass hitting the Welling striker and rebounding into his path, but Clark was quick to dive at the forward’s feet and thwart the danger.

Full-time: Fisher FC 3-1 Welling Town. A well-deserved three points for the Fish, despite the scare midway through the second half when Welling briefly took the upper hand following their penalty. All the hard work in pre-season is clearly paying off, with the team playing with ever increased fluency. A healthy haul of 4 points from the first 6 is the perfect way to go into FA Cup action on Saturday – get along to cheer the boys on at Hanworth Villa if you can!

Man of the match: plenty of contenders for the award. A special mention to Rob Brown who led by example in midfield and contributed two goals, but the man of the match goes to Jamie Yila who was a constant threat down the right wing and capped off a fine performance with a deft finish for the third goal.

Fisher 3-1 Welling Town
Tuesday 6 August 2019
SCEFL Premier Division

Rob Brown 37, 47(p)
Jamie Yila 80

Welling Town:
Marshall-Katung 69(p)

Attn: 195


Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:..............................

Leave a Reply