Club News

Match Report: Hanworth Villa 3-2 Fisher

Hanworth Villa 3 Fisher 2
Saturday 10 August 2019
Emirates FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

Fisher travelled to South West London in for their FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round tie against Hanworth Villa of the Combined Counties League Premier Division, but were not able to improve on a record that has seen them advance to the next stage  just once in the competition since reforming in 2009.

New signing Isaac Nkosi slotted into the defensive midfield role in place of Chris Lockwood having been signed 90 minutes before the Friday deadline thanks to help from Aveley FC with whom he is dual registered. Other than that change manager Allan Fenn put faith in the players who had won midweek against Welling Town but any momentum from that game was quickly extinguished as the hosts took an early lead with sweetly struck half volley from Jeff Tumwasi with just 75 seconds on the clock.

Fisher looked to quickly level and Adebola Oluwo got up only well to see his header drift over the bar as Fisher forced a couple of corners from drives down either flank Billy Brown and Jamie Yila. Despite the presence of former Brentford midfielder Karle Carder Andrews in Hanworth’s midfield, Fisher’s quick passing was seeing them dominate the central area and much of the game was played in the Hanworth half. Slick passing in midfield released Rob Brown for two long range efforts and Billy Bri also tried his luck from range but none of the attempts unduly troubled the keeper although free kick from keeper Chris Clark from hallway almost deceived the Villains custodian and under pressure from Luke McLeavy he just reclaimed the ball at the second attempt as McLeavy appeared to have nodded it home.   The keeper’s blushes were also spared when he spilled a well struck Billy Brown shot for the edge of the box but Karolis Atutis’ follow up was poked wide.

With the hosts under sustained pressure it seemed to the 27 travelling Fish fans that the equaliser was soon to come with several further corners headed over the bar and Billy Brown drawing a good save from the keeper cutting in for the left to unleash  a powerful shot. A slick move down the right involving Luke Thomas and Jamie Yila saw the ball flash across the host goal and Atutis despairing lunge at the back post only made contact with the goal frame rather than the ball as the equaliser just wouldn’t come.

Five minute before the break Fisher were forced into a change with Luke McLeavy limping off.  Isaac Nkosi dropped into the centre back role with Flabio Jumo coming on to make his debut in midfield. If that was a setback for the Fish a minute later their woes were compounded as Hanworth’s Chris Reills  found space on the edge of the box to drive home a second with his venomous effort flying into the far corner of Clark’s goal.

Fisher desperately needed to pull a goal back before the break to stay in the tie and with the last move of the half the goal finally came. Rob Brown’s corner was met by Billy Brown pulling off the pack on the edge of the area and he directed his header firmly into the far corner to give Fisher a lifeline at the break. The goal can be seen here thanks to John Green.

A determined Fisher side emerged after the break and five minutes in were on level terms as Rob Brown found a little space outside the area and once in range the prolific midfielder had only one thought, nestling his shot low into the keepers right hand side of the net, again captured by John Green

At this stage it looked as if Fisher would continue their dominance from the first half and create further chances to extend their lead but the hosts had other ideas and a took the game back their the visitors. A header from a Hanworth corner flashed across the goal and another stunning strike from the edge of the box flew narrowly wide as the contest opened up inti an enthralling tie.

Fisher’s main threat contued to come via the flanks with Billy Brown’s pace and direct running causing problems for the Villains full back and Luke Thomas’ surging runs down the right showing equal menace.

As the game entered the final fifteen minutes both sides sought to avoid a replay back in Rotherhithe on Tuesday night. Fisher had a great chance to win the tie when a length of the pitch run by Luke Thomas saw him charge down the right flank and cut into the box. He time his delivery to perfection and with Atutis on hand a goal seemed inevitable but the final touch was not secure and the ball struck the post before rolling back on long the line into the grateful keepers hands. Cup ties are settled on small margins and whereas the Fish could easily have been 3-2 up following this chance moments later they were behind as a series of errors and missed tackles saw the hosts winger scamper alone after long through ball down the left channel. With many of the players (and crowd) appealing for handball outside the area by the outrushing Clark the winger kept his composure to deftly float in a cross over the back pedalling Clark to be nodded home at the far post by Turnell. The chance was clinically taken but Fisher had been the architects of their own downfall.

Fisher huffed and puffed in the last few minutes to find an equaliser and striker David Olayokun replaced Jamie Yila, but Hanworth defended well and it was they who moved onto the next round and a derby with their local rivals Bedfont Sports. The players reactions on the final whistle showed the disappointment of knowing what many in the crowd for both sets of fans agreed had been a game the Fish should have won but will now have to wait to next season to okay our 100th game in the illustrious FA Cup competition.

In looking for positives from a very disappointing result supporters can look to the flowing football Fisher played and the energetic performance from Billy Brown which earned him his first competitive goal for the Fish. However the man of the match award goes to Luke Thomas whose driving runs on the right flank gave the fisher attack a new dimension whilst his crunching tackling broke up virtually all of the hosts forays down his flank in an impressive display by the full back.  A word too for our hosts – who we wish the best of luck in the next round – for the excellent hospitality from what is obviously a well-run community minded club with both sets of fans in fine voice in the Cowshed providing a great example of all that is good about football at this level.

Hanworth Villa 3-2 Fisher
Saturday 10 August 2019
FA Cup – Extra Preliminary Round

Hanworth Villa:
Jeff Tumwasi 1
Chris Regis 41
Unknown 81

Billy Brown 44
Rob Brown 52


Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:..............................