Club News

Match Report: Fisher 0-2 Herne Bay

Fisher 0 Herne Bay 2

Fisher continued their pre-season campaign with an encouraging performance against Isthmian League side Herne Bay. Despite very hot playing conditions both sides played with good tempo and for an hour prior to a raft of substitutions it was tight encounter, with Fisher proving a difficult obstacle for their visitors to break down.

There was a more settled look to the Fisher starting line-up, which whilst featuring a number of trialists they were those who have been with the club all through pre-season and signs were clear that the side is starting to fit together well. Fisher made the brighter start forcing an early free kick on the edge which the visitors defensive wall blocked.

As Herne Bay found their feet and started to move the ball well through midfield, Fisher still created some promising attacks, with newly registered wide man Lewis Francis hitting the side netting and Rob Brown having a shot charged down leading to hopeful claims for a handball. At the other end former West Ham United youth Anthony Edgar shot just wide and former Fish Kieron Campbell’s direct running caused Fisher some alarm. The Fisher back line looked very assured with Sam Fitzgerald quickly forming a good understanding with a Bulgarian trialist once on the books of CSKA Sofia.

Following the drinks break Herne Bay forced the game more and a couple of headers flashed wide and a fine shot from Campbell flew just past the post. Fisher stood up well to onslaught and countered well with Jacob Katonia driving forward. In the most promising move Katonia slipped in another newly registered player in former Tunbridge Wells forward Josh Biddlecombe, whose shot from the edge of the box saw George Kamarusi in the Herne Bay goal (another former Fish) get down quickly to save to his left.

At half time manager Ajay Ashanike will have been very pleased with the seeing his side hold their higher league opposition. With a large bench and a number of trialists he wanted to run the rule over the changes came quick and fast in the second spell. The more settled Herne Bay line up took advantage and Fisher were pushed back into their own half  with a shot cleared when rolling goal wards and a fine save from a trialist goalkeeper pushing an Edgar shot over the bar. At the other end an equally fine save thwarted Roddy Lemba’s fierce half volley.

Just before the drinks break the visitors won a corner, following another decent save from the young trialist, but he couldn’t keep out the powerful header from Fagan having come to collect the corner and not got to it.

On 70 minutes the visitors doubled their lead with a jinking run into the box from Gant seeing his shot fired low into the far corner with the keepers touch unable to divert it wide enough. The game at this point became a little disjointed with Fisher having changed virtually the entire team. Midfielder William Rocha looked the brightest of the trialists and was also registered after the game.  Christian Udo’s perseverance to challenge the defenders playing out saw him burst clear but miss-cue his shot when advancing alone into the area in what turned out to be Fisher’s final chance of the game.

Line Up: Villanucci, Thomas, Lockwood, Trialist, Fitzgerald, Trialist, Brown, Katonia, Coker, Francis, Biddlecombe.  Subs: Sackey, Udo, Lemba, Atkinson, Rocha and several trialists!

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:..............................