Club News

Match Report: Tooting 2-2 Fisher – FA Cup Preliminary Round

Jack Hayman reports from Tooting & Mitcham on behalf of The Non-League Chronicles. give their facebook a like – excellent source of non-league action:

Tooting & Mitcham United 2-2 Fisher (Fisher won 3-1 on penalties)
Saturday 12 September 2020
The Campus Society Stadium
£10 Admission
£2.50 Programme
£4 Kopparrberg

When this fixture came out of the hat in the middle of August it looked to have all the ingredients for a classic cup tie. 2 South London rivals, with excellent vocal support, fresh young talent and a cracking meeting (Which Tooting won 5-2) last season to boot. It’s fair to say it didn’t disappoint.

The game began with both sides very much feeling each other out, both midfields were very busy in the opening 15 minutes. Tooting winger Abdel Sahnoun looking lively and the most likely to carve out a chance but he got little change out of Fisher’s Luke Thomas despite his array of tricks and flicks. The games first real chance fell to the hosts after 18 minutes, a free kick, central & 20 yards out. Daryl Coleman stepped up but the Fisher wall stood firm and deflected it behind for a corner from the right hand side. This corner came to nothing and was well cleared.

Fisher’s first real look at the opposition goal came soon after a free kick on halfway was swung in and met and headed wide by Peter Ojemen who was impressive throughout. An even better chance came & went when Fisher broke with Jacob Katonia and he found Jamie Yilla who beat 2 defenders skilfully before sashaying past a third and then picking out the unmarked Christian Udo who headed over. An effort he probably could have done better with.

The hosts then took the lead on 29 minutes, a ball towards the corner flag was pulled back from the byline by Malaki Coker for a throw in, however the assistant on the far side signalled a corner. From the corner, the ball was won by Sam Fitzgerald who headed away but the second ball fell to Tooting’s Christie Sinn Kaye whose header just about found the back of the net despite the attentions of Rob Brown. Fisher a goal down, harshly so.

The home side nearly doubled the lead soon after a ferocious Coleman free kick was too hot for Carpanini who spilled his effort into the path of the on rushing Sinn Kaye but the Fisher custodian atoned for this by pushing away the ball to safety at second attempt.

Fisher restored parity soon after, Rob Brown picked up the ball and slipped in Coker excellently, he made his way up the pitch, riding a couple of challenges & doggedly getting possession back when tackled. He strode into the box and fired a shot that was deflected into the path of Christian Udo & his touch helped the ball away into the far corner for a deserved equaliser. Nothing more than he deserved as he was tireless throughout.

Fisher were now into their stride with the front 4 of Yilla, Brown,Udo & Coker causing all sorts of issues. Yilla got free down the left hand side and found himself 1 on 1 but to be fair to Gary Ross in goal narrowed the angle and made an excellent save with his shins and got the ball away for a corner.

HT 1-1

The opening 15 minutes of the second half followed the pattern of the first with both sides feeling their way back into the game and the ball spending a lot of the time in midfield. Fisher thought they’d taken the lead in the tie just after the hour mark, Gary Ross & Malaki Coker going up for a lofted ball together which the keeper fumbled leaving Coker with the simplest of tap ins. However, the ref blew for the foul on the keeper. Certainly a marginal decision, which looked harsh in real time.

Tooting retook the lead on 79 minutes when the ball pinged around at a corner and fell eventually to Dontai Stewart who placed an excellent effort into the far corner through a crowd of players. A great finish & Tooting back in front with just over 10 minutes to play.

Fisher to be fair didn’t let their heads drop and went at Tooting & Mitcham again. Jamie Yilla picked up the ball and began driving at his full back, he skipped round his man and invited the challenge from Dean Hamlin who chopped him down and the referee immediately pointed for a spot kick. A stonewall penalty.

After a period during which Tooting’s keeper was booked, Josh Biddlecombe stepped up and smashed the ball cooly down the middle of the goal and into the roof of the net despite Gary Ross getting a glove on it. 2-2 with 5 minutes remaining.

Fisher looked more likely to win the game but their attacks were well suppressed by their opponents from the Isthmian South Central. Tooting’s only chance after this came from a free kick out wide on the right, which was preceded by a 21 man pushing & shoving match. The free kick went in and was well cleared before the ref blew for a foul on Sam Fitzgerald.

FT 2-2, penalties.
Fisher: ❌✅✅✅
Tooting: ❌✅❌❌

Fisher through into the next round and cue wild celebrations after an excellent team performance against tough opposition from a higher division.

MOTM: Julio Da Mata (Fisher) – A constant thorn in Tooting’s side all afternoon, he ran, hurried and chased everything. The sort of performance cup upsets are built on. Although to be honest every single man in a Fisher shirt has a case, superb front to back.

Attendance-398 (93 Fisher) a new club away record.

Jack Hayman on behalf of The Non-League Chronicles. give their facebook a like – excellent source of non-league action:

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:..............................