Club News

Match Report: Crowborough Athletic 1-1 Fisher

Crowborough Athletic 1-1 Fisher
Saturday 28 August 2021
SCEFL Premier Divison

Fish goal scorer:
Courtney Swaby

Fisher travelled down to East Sussex for one of their longer away trips and despite picking up a point in a 1-1 draw will feel they missed a good opportunity to return with all the points.

Jacob Katonia returned to the side after missing out midweek when recalled by his host club to play in their midweek game and Aaron Glasgow returned to the back four, with Cristian Portaresco and Greg McCrudden unavailable.

Fisher made a bright start moving the ball well and both Gibbon and Swaby on the wings immediately showed their markers they were in for a busy afternoon. The reaction was a heavy challenge on Swaby which went unpunished by the referee who later in the game issued cards for far weaker challenges, leaving both sides puzzled by his interpretations.

Malaki Coker had Fishers first real opportunity stabbing goal wards with the outside of his boot but his shot lacked the power to unduly trouble the home keeper. This was quickly followed by a flowing move down the left as Gibbon’s paces saw him make progress down the touchline and an interchange of passes allowed to run towards goal but his shot for the D was dragged wide of the upright. At this stage Fisher looked in control – Da Mata fired high and wide after Gibbon’s free kick had only been half cleared and Swaby became more of threat on the right with a pacy run and cross ending with the ball just evading Udo’s lea.

The hosts made their first threat on Fisher’s goal on twenty minutes when a powerful long range effort deceived Taylor who was forced to save with his feet and he was grateful to see the follow up fired over. However, Fisher deservedly took the lead midway through the half having won a corner following m good work down the right, Swaby then curled his delivery to see it nestle inside the far post having totally flummoxed the keeper.

Efforts on goal came thick on fast for both sides – Katonia flashed a free kick wide and Sarpong’s pile-driver was deflected wide when looking goal bund. At the other end Taylor tipped over another powerful long range effort but going into the break Fisher looked good value for their lead.

Minutes into the second half and the match was level as a deep cross into the Fisher box was inexplicably dropped by Taylor under little pressure and it feel to the feet of a grateful forward to slip the ball into the net.

Fisher pushed on looking to restore their lead with Swaby a constant threat. He saw a near post shot palmed away and just had the ball taken off his feet in a strong but well timed tackle when bursting into the box. Gibbon was then upended on the very edge of the box following a good passing move, but Katonia’s flighted delivery was just too high with the keeper looking beaten. At the back Glasgow and Fitzgerald looked to be able to deal with any threat from the hosts and Adewunmi was added to the fray when Oladejo could not continue.

Fisher continued to push with Hoy adding energy to the midfield in place of Da Mata, but some very solid defending denied chances for Coker, Udo and Swaby with the final and possibly best chance falling to substitute Small in the final minute but he could not make sufficient contact and his scuffed shot when free in the box was easily claimed by the keeper.  A lot of effort and endeavour from the side but a little lack in quality of pass meant just the single point made the long journey home with the team

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:

Leave a Reply