Club News

Match Report: Fisher 0-2 Erith & Belvedere

Fisher 0-2 Erith & Belvedere
Monday 27th December
SCEFL Premier Division

Photo credit: Dave Anderson

A depleted Fisher side slipped to defeat in the festive local derby with Erith & Belvedere in one of the few SECFL Premier Division games to escape the latest COVID outbreak. With few other local games taking place either a bumper crowd of over 200 seemed pleased to be away from the turkey sandwiches despite a damp grey afternoon at St Pauls.

Missing Julio Da Mata and the suspended Michael Sarpong there was a rejig in the side with the return of Melvin Adesida into a holding midfield role and a rare appearance for Peter Ojemen at left back with Temi Oladejo stepping up into the left wing position. The plan looked to be working as Fisher put together some better football than of late in the opening half hour though chances were few and far between for either side. Harry Main almost escaped in the box and had strong claims for a penalty having been clearly held back, but his theatrical dive brought no decision from the referee. Temi Oladejo went closest to opening the scoring cutting in from the left to fire just wide of the far post.

With Sam Edwards making things tick in midfield Fisher were moving the ball around well but all the good work was undine four minutes before half time when a soft free kick a was conceded to the left of the penalty area and a deep delivery was headed back across the area where former Fish Calum McGeehan was free to nod home from two yards out. Having only earned three points this season from losing positions during the game the odds were know very much stacked against the Fish.

It was clear the first goal of the second half would be crucial and the early exchanges suggested the visitors would be more likely to get it as Fisher started slowly with the good movement of the ball form the first forty five minutes making way for some misplaced passes and careless use in possession.   Isaac Thompson saw plenty of ball and drive well at the Erith and Belvedere back line but when the shooting opportunities arose his efforts were high and wide with composure lacking in the final delivery.

On sixty five minutes the visitors doubled the lead and made the task of getting something out of the game even harder. A missed tackle by Ojemen allowed Erith to move the ball to James Dyer who made no mistake with a firm shot from eighteen yards out.

Fisher threw on Christian Udo and Jacob Katonia to try and get a lifeline but the approach play in the final third did not produce many chances. An error in the visitors back line gifted an opportunity but neither Thompson nor Udo could make the most of the loose ball and the chance was gone and with it a third defeat in a row was encountered. The visit of in-form Crowborough next week will again provide Fisher with stern test as they look to break the poor run of results.