Club News

Match Report: Canterbury City 2-1 Fisher

Canterbury City 2-1 Fisher
Saturday 29th January 2022
SCEFL Premier Division

Scorer: Aaron Glasgow (84 mins)
Attn: 86

Fisher looked to continue their unbeaten start to the year when travelling down the A2 to meet Canterbury City. However it was the hosts, who themselves have seen a better turn of form since Christmas who picked up the points following a poor display from the Fish.
The early exchanges saw Fisher start brightly with Jacob Katonia and Isaac Thompson both forcing saves from the home keeper, to give the large travelling support (33 all told) hope that the current run would continue.
Canterbury weathered the early storm and should have taken tenth minute lead when a forward found space in the box and a clear sight of goal but tommy Taylor saved well. Taylor repeated the trick seconds later although this time an offside flag was up. Fisher did not heed the warning and in the quarter hour mark a long ball deceived Sam Fitzgerald and Josh Strout gambled to run free and shot low past Taylor.
Fisher looked to quickly reply and Katonia shot wide and an awkward bounce stopped Khadean Campbell from bringing down a deep cross from Thompson who has scampered free down the right.
Not for the first time on a bumpy grass pitch Fisher lacked composure in the final third – a series of corners were not struck cleanly enough o e hat the first man and when the chances came contact on the ball saw scuffed shots or the ball sent high and wide.
The half ended with a Thompson free kick evaded both Fitzgerald and Joseph Adewunmi throwing themselves at the ball which resulted in Adewunmi received a nasty gash to his lip and begin replaced at half time by Aaron Glasgow.
The second half was a scrappy affair. A low free kick was well saved by Taylor but neither side looked like adding to the score in the opening salvos. Fisher huffed and puffed but never really stretched a resilient Canterbury back four. Philip Alouch was introduced for his debut and Christian Udo also entered the fray, but with ten minutes remaining and Fisher looking to crank up some pressure, urged on by the loud support on two sides of the ground, Canterbury doubled their lead as a free man at the back post was able to prod the ball home following a corner.
Fisher did then pull the deficit back to a single goal when Aaron Glasgow firmly headed home the first decently delivered corner of the afternoon. Fisher went looking for an equaliser but poor decision making meant they couldn’t fashion a decent chance exemplified by a late corner being played short and possession lost with the two centre halves still making their way up field.
A late surge into the box from Katonia saw him tumble under pressure from a defender but the referee rightly waved away appeals for what would have been a very soft penalty and leave Fisher pointless as the performance deserved.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:

Leave a Reply