Club News

Pre Season Update – Part Two

Fisher’s pre-season programme continued on a hot afternoon as Fisher headed out to the backwaters of Essex to take on Thurlow Nunn side Burnham Ramblers. An electric start saw Fisher take an early lead through Oseman Usifoh but a penalty on the troke of half time levelled the scores. The second half was scrappier with Fisher looking the more likely to score but some wasteful sue of promising positions left them vulnerable to a late flurry from their hosts which resulted in a late goal.

The heatwave saw the midweek game at Woodford Town moved back 24 hours in the hope of cooler temperatures and whilst this was the case the sides faced a very tricky parched playing surface. The game looked to be heading for a goalless draw until a send half goal from Woodford gave them the win in a close affair.

Fisher completed their final home game of pre-season with a comfortable 3-0 win over SCEFL Division One side Greenways at St Pauls. The game saw the welcome return after injury of Malaki Coker and newly signed frontman Joshua Montella. Coker had a very impressive half hour cameo in the first half setting up goals for Darnell Bailey-King and Montella. Trialist Tobi Irefin added a third midway through the second half to secure the win.

The pre-season programme ended with a trip to Greenwich University to meet SCEFL Division One side Forest Hill Park. A rather experimental side featuring several trialists was on show, but the match also featured the return after injury of Julio Da Mata and more minutes for Malaki Coker. Both sides were guilty of missing good scoring opportunities in the first half and the second period saw Fisher create more chances but some wasteful finishing was on show.

The introduction of Da Mata gave Fisher more forward momentum and he almost guided a diving header at the end of the best move of the match. The deadlock was finally broken on 70 minutes when a ball down the touchline saw Manny Shoderu race clear with Forest Hill players appealing that the ball had gone out of play. Shoderu played to the whistle and squared for Antony Connor to convert at the back post, but amidst strong protests from the Forest Hill Park bench manager Ajay Ashanike sportingly agreed to allow the hosts to walk in an equaliser unopposed.

There was no further score but with the Eternal Memorial Cup, played for every time the two sides meet, a penalty shoot-out was held with Justice Owusu in the Fisher goal saving three kicks to give Fisher a 3-2 win and retain the trophy.

With seven games completed the players are now fit and ready for the new campaign which begins on Saturday with the visit of Whitstable Town.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:

Leave a Reply