Club News

MATCH REPORT: Fisher 0-1 Erith Town

Fisher 0-1 Erith Town
Tuesday 16th August 2022
SCEFL Premier Division

Att: 112
Photo Credit: John Cronin

After playing in Saturday’s sapping heat, Tuesday evening’s league game against Erith Town was certainly one Fisher could have done without, with an FA Cup tie looming on Saturday. Following a lifeless performance they would certainly have wished the game had not happened as Fisher fell to a single goal defeat in a luck lustre game.
From the outset the game had a scrappy feel to it with neither side really finding much fluency. Clear cut chances were few and far between in the early exchanges with both sides sending balls into the box which were easily cut out by the respective defences. Unsurprisingly Malaki Coker and Fidan Fejzi, on the flanks, looked liveliest having missed Saturday’s game but Dennis Asante could not find space to profit from any of their deliveries. Both sides looked to shoot form distance and several promising moves amounted to little as result
Erith took the lead just past the midway point of the first half after Fisher conceded a careless corner with Foday Jaiteh letting a ball roll out of play despite the final touch clearly being from a teammate. The deep delivery was headed back across goal and Steadman Callender was on hand to tuck the ball home with Fisher’s players rather statuesque.
Minutes later Erith had a chance to double their lead when Callender again found space deep in the Fisher are about his header was less clinical than his earlier effort and went across the goal to safety. Fisher looked to get back into the game and whilst seeing plenty of possession, they created little and missing the unavailable Darnelle Bailey-King their attacking play lacked threat.
The second spell saw Asante replaced by Eni Amgbaduba early on and his presence caused the visitors defenders a little more to think about. Sam Amedu was called on early to smoother a dangerous cross, but there were early indicators that Erith may well settle for the single goal cushion as their defenders and keeper earned the wrath of the home crowd with some very slow restarts and delaying tactics that the match officials deemed within acceptable limits – always a danger if you concede the first goal on a tight game.
Manny Shoderu and Joshua Montella were also introduced as Fisher looked to find more attacking intent and whilst there was more endeavour to get bodies forward, quality was lacking and decision making was poor. Sarpong shoot widely form distance rather than playing in several runners and a couple of Luke Thomas’ runs did not result in a final ball landing at any of the attacker’s feet.
Imoru and Hoy also came on to provide fresh legs and Fisher were given a numerical advantage when a visiting player saw red for a heavy challenge on Shoderu. Despite this Fisher still struggled to create chances but Joseph Adewunmi went within a whisker of finding an equaliser when powering in a header from a deep cross which skimmed the outside of the post with the keeper looking to be beaten,
With six added minutes the referee finally cautioned the Dockers keeper for wasting time and gave a yellow card to the visiting manager as frustrations on both sides mounted with some curious decisions albeit not match defining ones.
A final flurry saw keeper Sam Amedu push up field for a late free kick and his presence caused some alarm in an episode of head-tennis but the ball wouldn’t fall kindly for Fisher and the keeper finally grabbed the ball at a third attempt as the final whistle sounded.
Another narrow defeat, with only three goals conceded in five games, but a third game in a row at home without a goal tells the story of the season so as the Fish take a two-game break from league action with back to back home cup games in the FA Cup and FA Vase, before the league visit of Holmesdale on bank holiday Monday when earning points will be vital.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: