Club News

MATCH REPORT: Fisher 2-1 Basildon United

Fisher 2-1 Basildon United
Saturday 8 July 2023
Pre-season friendly

Scorers: Tobi Irefin (51 Mins), Kyron Cooper (85 mins)
: 102

Fisher notched their first win of their pre-season campaign courtesy of a good second half comeback against Isthmian league side Basildon United. Having trailed at the break, goals from Tobi Irefin and Kyron Cooper gave the Fish a 2-1 win.
With horrendous traffic due the closure of the Blackwall Tunnel, the visitors pre match preparations were disrupted, but the opening exchanges showed few ill effects of their delayed arrival as they set the pace with a lot of the game played deep in the Fisher half. However the first real chance came Fisher’s way as Michael Dare cut in off the left and forced a good save from the visiting keeper.
The opening goal arrived shortly after, as on 21 minutes Basildon found space on the edge of the Fisher area and Kia Brown’s low shot bounced in off the inside of the post. Basildon could have doubled their lead before the break but a combination of crossbar, Sam Amedu’s gloves and a Fisher head on the line, kept the ball out as the visitors forced a number of corners.
The hardworking Billy Brown on the right flank was Fisher’s best outlet to relieve the pressure and he worked well with Jojo Kinzonzi with a number of dangerous crosses sent over from the pair, but half time game without further threat on the Basildon goal.
It was no surprise to see a raft of substitutions at half time and the introduction of Tobi Irefin and Kyron Cooper up front changed the pattern of the game with the pacy duo causing problems running at the heart of the visitor’s back line. Additionally, both Pedro De Moco and Yousaf Mohamed gave a better platform in midfield as Fisher wrestled back the intitiative, with Tobi Irefin’s jinking run seeing him advance into the box before slipping the ball under the keeper to level the game.
Basildon still looked threatening at the other end and some good approach pay was not matched with a finish as on several occassions they fired high and wide when well placed.
It was Fisher who were to get the third and final goal though, as a quick free kick found Kyron Cooper on the edge of the area and turning and shooting in one movement he fired the ball home.
The busier second half performance will have pleased manager Ajay Ashanike as he makes some final decisions over the last few spaces in this season’s squad, with the players having another opportunity to impress on Tuesday evening against Hullbridge Sports.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:

Leave a Reply