Club News

Match Report: Fisher 4-0 Welling Town

Fisher 4-0 Welling Town
Tuesday 12 September
SCEFL Premier Division

Match Sponsors: Critical Research –
Matchball Sponsor: Millwall Community Trust

Scorers: Eniye Amgbaduba (37 mins and 49 mins), Charles Yiadom-Konadu (45 mins. Jojo Kinzonzi (66 mins)
Attn: 187

Fisher bounced back from Saturday’s first league defeat of the season with a resounding 4-0 victory over strugglers Welling Town, in front of a healthy crowd of 187, under the lights at St Paul’s.
Mindful of the effects of the heat at the weekend, manager Ajay Ashanike shuffled his pack with Brandy Makuendi Manny Shoderu and Kyron Cooper dropping out of the starting line-up, replaced by Jamie Brown, Jojo Kinzonzi and Andres Tobon, with Luke Thomas returning from holiday to take a place on the bench.    There was drama prior to kick off with influential midfielder Ezekiel Miller stuck in a lift enroute to the game, requiring fire brigade assistance to be freed in time for kick off!
Fisher started slowly and Welling saw much of the early possession albeit without really causing any undue alarm to Justice Owusu in the home goal. With Fisher playing a little too deep during much of the first half hour, their passing was mainly in their own half and not stretching the opposition, also resulting in Eniye Amgbaduba being rather isolated up front. Andres Tobon did manage to escape down the left, but took a touch too many and saw the defence smoother his run before he could get a shot away.
Fisher’s first real sight of goal came after twenty minutes, when from a good run by Charles Yiadom-Konadu, having drifted past two midfielders space opened up for him and he tried his luck from range but saw his shot drift wide of the upright.
As Fisher grew into the game a further good chance fell to Ezekiel Miller when he rose highest from a corner, but could not quite get his header on target. The opener looked to be coming and when Jojo Kinzonzi did well down the right  his low cross across the face of the goal, the ball  just evaded both Amgbaduba and Tobon, where any sort of contact could have pushed the ball over the line.
The let off for Welling did not last long as from the next attack, eight minutes before the break, Conor Darwish linked up well with the attack and skipping into the box had his feet taken from him as he looked to switch the ball inside, for a stonewall penalty. Eniye Amgbadua took responsibility for the kick, calmly sitting the keeper down before dinking the ball down the middle of the goal.
Welling looked to hit back immediately and put some pressure on the Fisher goal for the reminder of the half. Having won a late corner they committed too many men forward and were punished by a lightening Fisher break, as the ball was cleared by Joseph Adewunmi to Tobon. He drove into the Welling half before slipping a through ball into the path of Charles Yiadom-Konadu, who was bursting down the middle. The midfield maestro realised he may not have the legs to outpace the covering defenders so calmly switched feet with a drag back, to leave the defenders bamboozled and tumbling, before delightfully chipping the ball over the keeper for a stunning counter attacking goal on the stroke of half time.
As the second half got underway the only way Fisher could surrender their lead looked to be from any sloppy play of their own and despite a tenancy to play one pass too many in playing out from the back they kept on the front foot well.
The game was pretty much over as a contest just five minutes after the restart when a good run into the area by Tobon saw him tripped and Eniye Amgbaduba again outwitted the keeper, waiting for him to commit before slipping the ball effortlessly int the net.
This allowed Fisher to use their bench, withdrawing the already cautioned Miller for Inesh Sumithran with Tyron Mbuenimo switching from right back to holding midfield. Sumithran provided a good outlet down the right, setting off some good attacks with his excellent forward delivery. Yaidom-Kondau was able to rest his fancy feet with Luke Thomas coming on to play wide right with Jamie Brown switching inside, showing the flexibility there is in the squad.
Midway through the second half Fisher had a fourth as some quick passing allowed Amgbaduba space and he in turn slipped in Jojo Kinzonzi, who carried the ball into the area before slamming it past the Welling keeper.
Further changes followed with new signing Fred Obasa coming on, making his second appearance for Fisher some eleven years after his first as a seventeen year old and Thomas Ngegba and Manny Shoderu also joining the fray. Fisher thought they had a fifth when Shoderu, brought down a high ball and turned well to send a sumptuous chip into the top corner, but was adjudged to have both handled and returned from an offside position.
The final whistle signalled the fifth win in seven in the league and moved the side back into second spot in the table. Whilst there were several contenders for man on the match, with Jamie Brown excelling all night, Charles Yiadom-Konadu at his mesmerising best, it was Conor Darwish who got the match sponsor’s, Critical Research, nod. The young left back defended immaculately and joined in the attack at every opportunity and is drawing the scouts down to SE16 in increasing numbers.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:

Leave a Reply