Club News

Match Report: Fisher 2-5 Snodland Town

Fisher 2-5 Snodland Town
Saturday 13th January
SCEFL Premier Division

Matchball Sponsors: Millwall Community Trust –

Scorers: Michael Sarpong (13 min), Kaylam Burgess (90 mins)

Fisher’s tough January schedule continued, as they fell to a heavy home defeat in an action packed game, at home to high flying Snodland Town. Once again it was a game of small margins, with Fisher missing an opportunity to level the game on the hour mark, from the penalty spot, before finding themselves three behind a few minutes later.
Fisher switched to a central back three for the game, with youngster Ben Sangare joining in the back line and Callum Flynn and Ibrahim Kamara coming in as wing backs. Darnelle Bailey-King bolstered the midfield with Teddy Jones back from suspension to add some pace to the front line.
Fisher started confidently with Thomas Ngegba looking sharp and almost created an early chance when bursting through the middle, only to be halted by a well-timed tackle. Both sides gave away some early careless free kicks in dangerous areas, but despite good deliveries could not force an opening goal. However, the visitors rode their luck once to often and Callum Flynn’s in-swinging free kick on thirteen minutes was glanced goalward by Ngegba and despite the keeper’s effort to save, the ball escaped his grasp, and allowed Michael Sarpong to tap home as it rolled along the goal line.
Fisher were unable to build on their lead however, as a defensive mishap allowed Snodland to equalise inside two minutes. An innocuous high ball into the back of the penalty area should have been dealt with but was allowed to bounce and Taylor Fisher nipped in to score from close range amidst defensive hesitation.
The game remained very open with Fisher’s formation allowing plenty of space on the flanks for Snodland to use via cross field balls, but without really being able to get in behind the Fisher back line. At the other end Teddy Jones pace caused issues for the visitors and he almost managed to get in on goal but was just eased away by the final defender as he went to round the keeper.
Fisher were dealt a blow just past the half hour mark, when Michael Sarpong went down and required substitution, with Nathan Tshola coming on. Both Flynn and Flavio Jumo then saw efforts from distance fly over the bar as Fisher put together some good football going forward towards the end of the half. However, the good work was undone by another defensive error on the stroke of half time. A ball over the top was nudged back to the Nwabuko but without enough pace, allowing veteran Francis Babalola to just get a toe on the ball first before the keeper’s foot made contact with him for a clear cut penalty. Robbie Bissett slammed home the resultant spot kick to send Fisher into the break trailing by the odd goal in three.
Had Fisher gone in level then a different game may have resulted, and even then after a bright enough start to the second half they were given a golden opportunity to equalise on the hour. Teddy Jones, a thorn in the Snodland defence all game, nipped in and raced towards goal, but a heavy touch took him too close the keeper who blocked the ball and despite this fair challenge needlessly then stopped Jones from getting back up, presumably not realising the ball had travelled to a covering defender, with the referee very well placed to give the excellent decision. The keeper redeemed himself though with a fine save from Callum’s Flynn well struck penalty.
Instead of being level Fisher then found themselves quickly out of the game as a scramble in their area saw the ball nudged over the line off a Fisher body and three minutes later a quickly taken free kick down the left caused some scrambling cover defence from Fisher, but the ball was never properly cleared and a second delivery into the box was swept home from close range by Babalola to make it 1-4.
Fisher never gave up and the introduction Billy Brown and Andres Tobon added energy to the attack. Both firing shots wide and Tshola drew a good save from Freeman beating away his powerfully struck effort, with little luck falling Fisher’s way.
As Fisher threw caution to wind space opened up for Snodland and some wasteful finishing and a couple of useful saves from Nwabuko kept the goal tally from rising. As the game moved towards full time   Snodland added a fifth through a well worked move allowing another close range tap in with Fisher looking for an offside flag that didn’t come.
There was still time for Fisher to add their second when a powerful run from Billy Brown down the right saw his low cross tucked home neatly by fellow substitute Kalam Burgess, capping an impressive cameo from the youngster.
Once again, the scoreline does Fisher little favour and does not represent the endeavour within their play, but shows the small margins and punishment of errors of football at this level for the young side. The month does not get ay easier with a midweek trip to promotion contenders Erith Town and then Saturday sees a visit to title contenders Deal Town before big spending Faversham Town arrive at St Pauls.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: