Club News

Match Report: Fisher 0-0 Kennington

Fisher 0-0 Kennington
Saturday 3rd February
SCEFL Premier Division

Matchball Sponsors: Millwall Community Trust –
Photo Credit: Dave Anderson – Full Album

Attn: 167

Fisher were frustrated by a resolute Kennington side in a goalless SCEFL Premier Division game at St Paul’s.
Charles Yiadom Konadu returned in midfield after missing the midweek trip to Rusthall, but even the wizardry of the midfield maestro could not unlock the Kennington defence in a game of relatively few chances. There was also a start for Jojo Kinzonzi after his impressive performance off the bench midweek and Darnelle Bailey-King filled the right back slot in a strong looking starting eleven.
With Fisher attacking the Dockers End in the opening half, the first chance of the game saw Yiadom-Konadu fire wide of the post from the edge of the box and a couple of early corners amounted to little. Fisher were frustrated by the assistant’s flag with Teddy Jones looking lively in running onto balls over the top, but judged to be offside each time.
On the quarter of an hour mark Kennington had their first real chance when Imoru was turned on the edge of the box and conceded a free kick which was powerfully hit, but to Fisher’s fortune, wide of the upright.
A Fisher corner then brought two very quick snapshot chances but neither Tyron Mbuenimo nor Prince Imoru could quite get a shot away as the ball fell at their feet and Kennington manged to smuggle the ball away.
Kennington’s main threat seemed aerial, from a long throw and from Fisher conceding too many free kicks within range of delivery. However young Sam Nwabuko in the Fisher goal supported his defence superbly coming to claim or punch with confidence belying his age.
The game became rather stop start with two Kennington players succumbing to injury and having to be replaced, leading to little goal mouth action in the remainder of the half apart from a late scramble in the Fisher area before Nwabuko managed to get his hands on the loose ball amidst a tangle of legs and bodies.
Six minutes into the second half Fisher made space for Mbuenimo to fire in a right footed shot from the edge of the box, but the Kennington keeper pulled off a save of highest order to tip the top corner bound effort onto the crossbar and away for a corner.
Billy Brown, utilised in a midfield role after impressing when dropping in there during the midweek win at Rusthall, became an increasing influence on the game, driving Fisher forwards and winning second balls with his enthusiasm and non-stop running.
Fisher rung the changes regularly during the second spell with Thomas Ngegba, Nathan Tshola and Jamie Brown coming on allowing Darnelle Bailey King to play higher, where his direct running and link up play with Yaidom-Konadu became an ever increasing threat down the right, but several good crosses into the box just evaded any final touch and a series of late corners were defended stoutly at the back post.
A claim for a penalty when Jones burst into the left channel of the box resulted in a yellow card for simulation, despite there being some upper body contact from the defender which may have knocked the young forward over even if not worthy of a foul. Fisher looked to build a head of steam for a late onslaught but the stop-start nature of the game prevented any fluency. At the back they looked untroubled and the deserved clean sheet for Nwabuko looked rarely threatened.
Just three minutes of added time did not give Fisher much chance of forcing a late winner and the final whistle saw them forced to settle for a point.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: