Club News

Match report: Fisher 2-1 Gravesham Borough

A beautiful Bermondsey afternoon was perfectly complemented by Fisher recording their second victory of the week. Despite facing something of an unknown quantity in a Gravesham side significantly changed from last week, Fisher ran out deserved winners of a game that should have been wrapped up before Daniel Bowden’s clinical 86th minute strike.

A tentative opening led to an end to end first half, but with few real opportunities. It was thus unsurprising that the opening goal was the result of a mistake by the Gravesham goalkeeper, who took one risk too many with the ball at his feet outside his box. With the keeper nowhere to be seen, the ball found its way to Richie Hamill who calmly fired home from the inside left channel. Fisher headed into half time one up.

The second half saw Fisher grow in confidence and look to take the game to their opponents with greater conviction, Draper firing wide from one of the more notable early chances. Having failed to make the game safe, Padgett’s 74th minute back post equaliser looked like it might have salvaged a point for the visitors. Fisher’s defence was unlocked by a run into the box on the right, with the cross leaving Padgett free to convert from close range.

It was an equaliser that perhaps did more for Fisher than Gravesham though. From the restart Fisher attacked with greater urgency. The Fisher lead appeared to have been restored when Agyemang headed home a corner at the near post, only for the referee to controversially rule out the goal for pushing. However, this was a day when Fisher were not to be denied. Some neat interplay in an increasingly dominant Fisher midfield saw Bowden released one-on-one with the keeper on the right.  An early strike saw the keeper comfortably beaten at his near post.

Despite Fisher pushing to extend their lead, the final opportunity fell to Gravesham. Having made a comfortable save in the game’s dying moments, Taylor in the Fisher goal was penalised for delaying his clearance from hand. Having needlessly conceded the opportunity, Taylor made amends with a superb reflex save from the free kick. The match finished 2-1 to the home side, and the Fisher faithful went home relieved and ultimately happy.

Up the table we go!

Fisher 2-1 Gravesham Borough  Saturday 2 Sept 2017
Ritchie Hamill 42
Daniel Bowden 86

Russ Padgett 74

Attn: 121