Here at Fisher FC we are fully committed to the FSA’s Sustain The Game campaign which has launched with the backing of fans’ groups from across the country as well as senior politicians and football pundits such as Jamie Carragher.
The campaign highlights the urgent need for action to secure the very existence of many clubs.
In 2009, we experienced the issues caused by a lack of financial sustainability, resulting in our current fan-owned club, yet still football at all levels down to Step 9 and beyond suffers from issues caused by a lack of financial sustainability which is why the FSA’s campaign is so vital.
- Read more about the campaign here: https://thefsa.org.uk/news/fan-groups-politicians-and-pundits-call-for-urgent-action-to-protect-the-very-existence-of-clubs/
Sustain the Game!
Supporters’ groups from across the country have joined forces with politicians and pundits to launch “Sustain The Game!” – a new campaign which calls for urgent action from the authorities to protect the existence of clubs throughout the game.
The financial strains caused by Covid-19 have threatened many clubs and fans say urgent action is needed from the football authorities to help them survive.
The Football Supporters’ Association (FSA) is coordinating Sustain The Game! and says that while the current pandemic has brought many issues to an immediate head, these are long standing finance and governance matters which need to be fixed.
The Government’s 2019 manifesto committed to a “fan led” review of football governance and the FSA says it wants to demonstrate the support within football for that to happen.
The campaign is backed by fans’ organisations from almost all of the 92 Premier League and EFL clubs alongside those in the women’s game, non-league and high profile ex-pros and pundits such as Jamie Carragher, Henry Winter, Colin Murray, Amy Lawrence, Guy Mowbray, and FSA Commentator of the Year Peter Drury.
Political support comes in the shape of ex-sports minister Tracey Crouch, Labour’s shadow sports minister Alison McGovern and Liberal Democrats’ Daisy Cooper MP, the party’s sports spokesperson.
The campaign is also backed by the cross-party All-Party Parliamentary Group for Football Supporters and many community-owned clubs including the newly-formed Bury AFC.
Campaign backers say the football authorities and government cannot sit back and watch as dozens of historic clubs are under immediate threat and could disappear altogether.
FSA chief executive Kevin Miles said:
“Football occupies a special space in our society as clubs carry huge cultural and local economic importance. Sustain The Game! will demonstrate the need for urgent action as the very existence of many clubs is under threat. If we don’t act now we might lose some forever.
“We call on everyone with an interest in the game, from clubs and leagues to players and managers, to come together and work in partnership to support Sustain The Game! The time for action isn’t next week, next month, or next year – it’s now.”
Sustain The Game! principles:
- Protect our clubs – football clubs are community assets and an important expression of individual and local identity, they deserve legal protection and urgent support to secure their future;
- Transparency – everyone has a right to know who owns their club, and how clubs and the authorities operate. Owners are custodians of clubs on behalf of all of us;
- Financial controls – fans want rules with real teeth which are independently enforced, clubs and leagues can’t be left to regulate themselves;
- Strengthen the pyramid – football as a whole is wealthy, but we need a smarter and fairer use of the money in the game to encourage sustainability;
- Supporter engagement – fans are the lifeblood of the game, they need a voice in their clubs and on all issues that affect them and their communities.
Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:..............................
- Become a member - Own your own football club: http://www.fisherfc.org/membership/
- Donate to the 12th Man Fund: http://www.fisherfc.org/2018/01/11/your-club-needs-you-support-the-12th-man-fund/
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FisherFC
- Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FisherFC/
- Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fisher_fc/
- SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FAN-OWNED FOOTBALL CLUB