Club News

Match Report: Fisher 1-1 White Ensign

Fisher 1 White Ensign 1
Saturday 22 August 2020
Pre-season friendly

With ten days until their season opener in the FA Cup, Fisher completed another useful 90 minutes in a behind closed doors pre-season game against White Ensign of the Thurlow Nunn League.

With a number of niggling injuries in the squad, the side again included a clutch of trialists but the nucleus of manager Ajay Ashanike’s squad is clear to see and the first forty five minutes some pleasing passing football was evident, with good control of the ball, as Fisher had the bulk of possession.

At the back goalkeeper Daniel Carpanini had another assured half despite an unfamiliar back four in front of him, with only Luke Thomas from last season’s squad featuring. However, impressive performances form Peter Ojeman, previously of Welling Town and Michael Williams back after injury curtailed his pre-season last year saw both players added to the registered squad list after the game.

Despite more territorial advantage, Fisher did not force much threat on the Ensign goal in early exchanges, with a snap shot form Roddy Lemba easily saved being the most notable chance prior to an unexpected drinks break.  On twenty five minutes Fisher took the lead when Jamie Yila found space on the left hand side of the box and his rasping drive flew past the keeper into the roof of the net. Yila nearly doubled the advantage when ghosting in at the far post but could not make sufficient connection with a well flighted cross to force the ball home. At the other end Carpanini threw himself bravely to block inside the six yard box when Ensign recycled a long throw back into the box to an unmarked striker. However bar that alarm the back four dealt well with an aerial threat from Ensign’s long throws.

As in other pre-season games the second spell became disjointed as Fisher made a plethora of substitutions. Rob Brown fired an effort just high of the cross bar and Luke Thomas’ surging runs down the right saw him put over a number of low crosses that evaded the Fisher frontmen and when opting for a higher delivery Roddy Lemba headed wide.

However, for the last half hour Ensign grew into the game and it was not against the run of play when a deep cross was fired back across goal to provide an equaliser for the visitors. Minutes later clumsy play at the back allowed an Ensign forward a free run on goal but the effort was smothered by the trialist keeper on for the second half.

Both sides looked to get forward in search of a winner but could not create anything further and the game ended with honours shared. Fisher will know they now need to use the remaining two pre-season outings at Sutton Athletic midweek and in the local derby with Stansfeld next Saturday to put together a complete 90 minutes rather than just a good half to be ready for Horsham YMCA in the FA Cup.

Team: Carpanini, Thomas, Ojemen, Williams, Trialist, Da Mata, Katonia, Rocha, Trialist, Lemba, Yila Subs: Brown, Lockwood, Fitzgerald, Biddlecombe, Coker, Cole, and three trialists

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities:..............................