Club News

Match Report: Hollands & Blair 0-0 Fisher

Hollands & Blair 0-0 Fisher
Saturday 15th Janaury 2022
SCEL Premier Division
Attn 71

Photo courtesy of John Green

Fisher travelled down to Gillingham to meet an in form Hollands and Blair with their hosts having been unbeaten in their last five league games without conceding a goal. A difficult heavy pitch also awaited but despite the conditions an exciting tight game developed.
Despite a win last time out Fisher made changes to the starting eleven with Tommy Taylor coming back from injury to replace Dan Carpanini in goal, Michael Sarpong returning from suspension and debuts for Pedro Di Brito Moco and Abdoullah Traore.
Their hosts had first use of the considerable slope at Star Meadow  and  Loynes and Kane both had early chances as some good dead balls were delivered into the Fisher box. However having weathered the early pressure Fisher started to move the ball as well as the pitch would allow and following a good spell of pressure almost took the lead when Thompson stole possession and unleashed a fearsome drive from twenty five yards out which slammed off the underside of the bar and bounced away off the goal line. The goal of the season competition may have been over had it gone in.
Not to be out done Temi Oladejo also tired his luck form even further out and whilst the connection was sweet the accuracy was a touch amiss and his shot flew inches wide. Debutant Abdoullah Traore then shot tamely at the keeper when well placed as Fisher looked the more likely to make the breakthrough. Hollands and Blair finished the half strongly though and saw two chances go wide of the uprights.
Fisher started the second half with good purpose with Pedro de Brito Moco a growing influence and both he and Julio Da Mata had early chances with Da Mata seeing a flicked effort squirm just wide of the goal with the keeper beaten.
A flowing move saw Luke Thomas escape down the right and having looked to have run out of pitch just squeezed in his cross which found Isaac Thompson but his close range effort was somehow clawed away by the home keeper at full stretch. Fisher continued to press and a looped header form Sarpong was cleared off the line.
With the goal not coming there was always a danger Fisher could be caught at the back and the dangerous Kane sent an angled volley over the bar. Fisher almost snatched a win late on as Thompson again arrived into the box but under pressure from a defender his effort rose over the bar and without went the last chance of victory.
It was a more than useful point on the road however, especially considering the conditions on the day.

Keep up-to-date with all Fisher FC activities: